A wider view of Milles Fountain, showing the western half half of the work. The tall man in front represents the Mississippi River. The female Missouri is just out of the frame to the right. The unveiling of the statue in 1940 set off quite a scandal among the local wealthy prudes. It was originally called The Marriage Of The Waters. The bride and groom were nude (the composition of this picture has taken care with the placement of Mr. Mississippi's right hand). Unconscionable! So the city called it The Meeting Of The Waters thereafter. Must have been a hot date.
Union Station is in the background.
The topic is art and decline on St. Louis Daily Photo.