Saturday, January 29, 2011

29/365: Secret Pleasures

.
White Castle Lensbaby 2010-01-24

Readers from other countries and some parts of the U.S. may not know what White Castle is, but St. Louisans sure do. I love White Castle. There was one in my neighborhood in Queens when I was growing up and I became devoted to it.

The chain serves tiny, square, steam-grilled hamburgers, so moist and aromatic. Many people look down their noses at the place, as if it were the bottom rung on the fast food chain. (Wrong - that honor goes to the Hardee's / Carl's Jr. chain, headquartered in our city, a major promoter of obesity and cardiovascular disease.) I don't eat there often. It makes me feel a little guilty and heaven knows what's in those burgers (never looked at the nutritional data) but if I need a little cheer-up, it's the best comfort food around.

The entrance looks ominous, particularly in this Lensbaby B&W. Makes me think on the sign on the gates of hell in Dante's Inferno: lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate, or, abandon all hope you who enter here.

3 comments:

Molly said...

I have never had White Castle, despite innumerable opportunities. And now that I'm far far away in the UK, you're making me regret that decision!

Sharon said...

I ate there at least twice while I was working in St. Louis. They are tasty little bite size burgers. We don't have this chain in Arizona but you can buy a box of them frozen in most supermarkets.

Where I grew up in Quincy Illinois, our "back-home" treat is the Maid-Rite sandwich. Yum!

Tara said...

Oh man I miss White Castles...home of the fart burgers! I loved watching them make peoples' orders and I'll never forget the intoxicating smell. It's been almost 5 years since I've savored their cheeseburgers. When I get back to the US, one of the first things I want do is go to White Castles. Thanks for posting this picture!